- The Data-Driven Development in the Philippines (PH3D) seeks to champion data-driven development using evidence-based and technology-powered decision-making to address issues in local development. Led by Action for Economic Reforms and co-funded by the European Union, it aims to improve governance, performance, and transparency of LGUs by enhancing both the capacity of civil society and local governments to enable an environment conducive for data-driven participatory decision-making.
- PH3D has four components: Development Data Lab which leads the identification of data sources and improving data generation to obtain high-quality data, creating the centralized Dashboard that is customizable to local needs, and generating the evidence base necessary for policy-making; Policy Development Lab which leads the evidence-to-policy and policy-to-development initiative; Data and Tech Alliance for Development which handles the partnerships initiative through collaborations with local and national actors; and the Policy and Research Institute for Development (PRIDE) which is the collaborative capacity building and resource sharing platform.
- PH3D operates in four project sites across Luzon and the Visayas to design technology-powered and data-enabled local initiatives. Two of these sites are focused on DRRM: Arteche, Eastern Samar and Guiuan, Eastern Samar.
- A Policy Specialist – Disaster Risk Reduction and Management (DRRM) and Data-Driven Development is being engaged to provide technical assistance and policy recommendations. This is a mid-level and short-term consultancy position.
B. Objectives of the Engagement
- The objective of the engagement is to undertake two main short-term tasks:
- review existing DRRM policies of the Municipality of Guiuan particularly in relation to communication and resettlement and provide policy recommendations including on instituting data-driven development approaches to DRRM; and
- review existing DRRM Policies of the Municipality of Arteche particularly in relation to relief operations protocols and provide recommendations on how these can be updated to align with the LGU priorities and data-driven development approaches.
- The Policy Specialist is expected to recommend policies and strategies to the Development Data Lab, Policy Development Lab, Data and Tech Alliance for Development, and PRIDE on DRRM and data-driven.
C. Expected Outcome and Deliverables
The Policy Specialist – DRRM and Data-Driven Development will be requested to complete the following deliverables:
- Attend meetings to discuss the project and confirm assignment and workplan;
- Draft presentation decks of the policy recommendations for Arteche and Guiuan;
- Final presentation decks for Arteche and Guiuan addressing comments and recommendations;
- Presentation and discussion during consultations with key stakeholders in Arteche and Guiuan; and
- Policy recommendations relevant to DRRM and data-driven development.
D. Activities, Work Schedule, and Reporting Relationship
The Policy Specialist – DRRM and Data-Driven Development will be reporting to the Policy Lab Lead and is expected to start work on November 3, 2021 until December 31, 2021 on an engagement that will include the following activities adhering to the suggested timeline below:
|Inception meetings||November 8, 2021|
|Draft presentation||November 19, 2021|
|Final presentation||November 29, 2021|
|Presentation and discussion with key stakeholders in Arteche and Guiuan||November 19 – December 15, 2021|
|Policy recommendations||November – December 31, 2021|
Due to COVID-19, AER implements a modified work from home arrangement and consultants are expected to have stable internet connectivity in their residences. Additionally, AER is a smoke-free, gender-safe, child-friendly organization. Consultants are required to abide by strict policies on these.
Candidates should be able to submit evidence or relevant documents to show that they are able to meet the following requirements:
- Significant background in or experience on DRRM;
- 5-8 years experience working with local government units on DRRM programs;
- Broad knowledge of or familiarity with DRRM policies and related issuances;
- Demonstrated experience in providing policy recommendations and technical assistance;
- Excellent communication and presentation skills for a broad range of audiences; and 6. Ability to work with teams, handle constructive feedback and deliver on time.
F. Submission of Requirements
Interested applicants should email their CV and expression of interest to: firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: [<Position> Application]. Deadline for submission is on October 27, 2021.
Shortlisted applicants will be notified by email and called in for an interview in the week of October 27 2021.